17 October 2007
The official launching of the human rights digital library pilot project for Almaty city took place in early October in Almaty at the offices of the Akimat. Representatives of UNESCO, UNDP, the UN Department of Public Information, the Human Rights Commission under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the National Academic Library and top officials from the Almaty Akimat participated.The UN will assist the Akimat to create a digital library on human rights issues in both Kazakh and Russian, based on legal documents of Municipality (Akimat). The Almaty digital library is the second phase of a national project.
The first digital library collection was created using legal documents of the Human Rights Commission under the President of Kazakhstan. Access to the site is free via the National Academic Library in Astana, http://hrc.nabrk.kz.
As the largest city in Kazakhstan, Almaty has the best access to legal information via the internet. The human rights digital library will be a key component of e-government in the Almaty region, improve public access to rights information, help citizens to more actively participate in public affairs and improve the general legal education of the population.
The list of participants of the seminar:
- Mr.Serik Seidumanov, Deputy Mayor, City of Almaty;
- Ms.Gulfairuz Kasymova, Leading Expert, Mayor's Office;
- Ms.Aida Balayeva, Director. Internal Policy Department, Municipality of Almaty;
- Ms.Aigul Aspandiyarova, Director, PR Department, Municipality of Almaty;
- Mr.Zhumanali Satayev, Director, State Legal Department, Municipality of Almaty;
- Mr.Tastemir Abishev, Secretary, Human Rights Commission under the President of Kazakhstan;
- Mr.Sergey Karpov, National Professional Officer, Information and Communication, UNESCO Cluster Office in Almaty;
- Ms.Laura Kennedy, Programme Specialist, Social and Human Sciences, UNESCO Cluster Office in Almaty;
- Ms.Leila Baishina, UNESCO Human Rights Expert;
- Mr.Zhannat Kulenov, Technical Expert, Digital Library;
- Ms.Svetlana Bekmambetova, Manager, Human Rights Project, UNDP Astana, Kazakhstan;
- Ms.Asema Temirkhanova, Specialist, National Academic Library in Astana.